ESET Goes Google Play with ESET Mobile Security for Android Smartphones and Tablets
ESET, the leader in proactive protection against cyber-threats, has today released its product − ESET Mobile Security for the Android platform on Google Play. With ESET joining forces with Google Play, the user gains a convenient way to purchase ESET Mobile Security.
The latest version of ESET Mobile Security for Android can be also used for Android-based tablets and has language switching options directly from the menu. To provide customers with as friendly experience as possible, ESET Mobile Security for Android is equipped with 25 language localizations. On top, it features benefits made popular by previous version of ESET Mobile Security like SMS/MMS Antispam, Anti-Theft Security System with GPS Localization, SIM matching, Remote Lock and Remote Wipe, to mention only few.
According to the Online Security Brand Tracker (OSBT),* a global research project commissioned by ESET and carried out by InSites Consulting (October-November 2011), with analysis conducted by United Consultants, 36 % of internet users worldwide are connecting to the Internet using smartphone, 19 % using basic mobile phone, and 10 % using tablet. Global analyst firm Gartner adds that the Android OS accounted for 50.9 % of smartphone sales to end users in the fourth quarter of 2011. These portable devices store not only sensitive personal data but also proprietary business information – similar to those stored on desktop workstations. According to OSBT, 16 % of those surveyed reported loss of personal data due to security incidents they were exposed to.
"There is definetely a significant growth of Android threats that we are detecting at ESET malware research centers around the world,“ says ESET Security Intelligence Team Leader Robert Lipovsky. "The new ESET product not only protects you against malware with its unique behavior-based detection, but offers protection for your data in case of device theft or loss,“ he adds.
ESET Mobile Security for Android: Key Features and Benefits**
- Unique behavior-based detection – warns of any suspicious activity against your phone.
- Anti-Theft Security System – multiple layers of security allows users to maintain perfect control over phone-stored data in the event of the device being lost or stolen with GPS Localization, which locates lost or stolen device by a remote command. Remote Lock that blocks the device remotely to prevent unauthorized access to smartphone’s data and Remote Wipe ̶ command which deletes all phone-stored data remotely using a simple SMS command. SIM Matching on the other hand creates a list of trusted SIM cards for smartphone or tablet. In case of an unauthorized SIM card insertion, the user is automatically notified by a text message sent to an alternate phone number (GSM-based phones).
- SMS/MMS Antispam – allows the user to define trustworthy contacts via customizable black or whitelist or to simply block messages from unknown numbers.
- Call Blocking – blocks unwanted calls in both directions – incoming and outgoing. This is a powerful tool especially suitable for parents to keep their children’s phone bills in check.
- Trusted friend – a contact or a telephone number that can receive an Alert SMS if an unknown SIM card is inserted into the phone; trusted friend is able to reset the user’s forgotten password if needed.
- Security Audit with Built-in Task Manager – provides information about all vital phone functions, including battery life, free disk space, running processes, Bluetooth, and device visibility.
- Fresh, New User Interface – tailor-made graphics and layout for enhanced Android experience and integrated with Google Play market.
- Uninstall Protection – secures the smartphone against unauthorized un-installation of ESET Mobile Security.
Visit the ESET Mobile Security product page for more information.
* Online Security Brand Tracker wave 6 is a global research project measuring brand performance of leading security software products in the home user segment. The survey is representative of 1.8 billion internet users across six continents. Its objective is to gain knowledge of the current situation and trends on key markets; obtain market information and interpretations to manage sales and marketing activities of ESET, as well as technological development of its products. The number of selected countries was 49; field work was carried out by InSites Consulting (Belgium) on online panels of respondents, with analysis conducted by United Consultants (Slovakia) throughout October– November 2011).
**ESET Mobile Security for Android is available in selected markets only and on Google Play. For additional information, please visit the local ESET website. Some features are not available for tablets which do not support calling and messaging.
ESET, the pioneer of proactive protection and the maker of the award-winning NOD32 technology which is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012, is a global provider of security solutions for businesses and consumers. The Company continues to lead the industry in proactive threat detection. ESET NOD32 Antivirus holds the world record for the number of Virus Bulletin "VB100” Awards, and has never missed a single “In-the-Wild” worm or virus since the inception of testing in 1998. ESET has been selected as one of the most innovative companies in Europe for the 2011 HSBC European Business Awards and holds number of accolades from AV-Comparatives, AV Test and other organizations. ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Smart Security and ESET Cyber Security for Mac are trusted by millions of global users and are among the most recommended security solutions in the world.
The Company has global headquarters in Bratislava (Slovakia), with regional distribution centers in San Diego (U.S.), Buenos Aires (Argentina), and Singapore; with offices in Sao Paulo (Brazil) and Prague (Czech Republic). ESET has malware research centers in Bratislava, San Diego, Buenos Aires, Singapore, Prague, Košice (Slovakia), Cracow (Poland), Montreal (Canada), Moscow (Russia), and an extensive partner network for 180 countries.