ESET Goes Google Play with ESET Mobile Security for Android Smartphones and Tablets
ESET today announced the availability of ESET Mobile Security for the Android platform on Google Play. With ESET Mobile Security now available on Google Play users gain a convenient way to purchase a security solution that provides real-time protection against mobile threats on smartphone and tablet devices.
The latest version of ESET Mobile Security for Android includes proactive real-time scanning technology that warns users of any suspicious activity on their device as well as parental control-like features designed to help parents mitigate cybercrime exposure for their kids. Additional proven features made popular by previous versions of ESET Mobile Security include SMS/MMS Antispam and a robust Anti-Theft Security System with SIM matching, Remote Lock and Remote Wipe.
According to the Online Security Brand Tracker (OSBT),* a global research project commissioned by ESET and carried out by InSites Consulting (October-November 2011), with analysis conducted by United Consultants, 36 percent of Internet users worldwide are connecting to the Internet using a smartphone, 19 percent using a basic mobile phone, and 10 percent via a tablet.
Global analyst firm Gartner adds that the Android OS accounted for 50.9 percent of smartphone sales to end users in the fourth quarter of 2011. These portable devices store not only sensitive personal data but also proprietary business information – similar to those stored on desktop workstations. According to OSBT, 16 percent of those surveyed reported loss of personal data due to security incidents they were exposed to.
"There is definitely a significant growth in the number of Android threats that we are detecting at ESET malware research centers around the world,” said Robert Lipovsky, ESET Security Intelligence Team Leader. "The new ESET product not only protects you against malware with its unique behavior-based detection, but offers protection for your data in case of device theft or loss.”
ESET Mobile Security for Android: Key Features and Benefits**
- Unique behavior-based detection—warns of any suspicious activity on your device. All applications, files, folders and SD memory cards are continually scanned for trojans, viruses, worms, spyware, spam and other attacks.
- Anti-Theft Security System—multiple layers of security allows users to maintain perfect control over phone-stored data if the device is lost or stolen. This includes:
- GPS Location—locates lost or stolen device by a remote command. Also helps parents determine an exact location of their child when the phone is in his/her possession.
- Remote Lock—blocks the device remotely to prevent unauthorized access to the smartphone’s data.
- Remote Wipe—command which deletes all phone-stored data remotely using a simple SMS command.
- SIM Matching—creates a list of trusted SIM cards for smartphone or tablet. In case of an unauthorized SIM card insertion, the user is automatically notified by a text message sent to an alternate phone number (GSM-based phones).
- Uninstall Protection—secures the smartphone against unauthorized un-installation of ESET Mobile Security.
- SMS/MMS Antispam—allows the user to define trustworthy contacts via customizable black or whitelist or to simply block messages from unknown numbers.
- Trusted friend—a contact or a telephone number that can receive an Alert SMS if an unknown SIM card is inserted into the phone; trusted friend is also able to reset the user’s forgotten password if needed.
- Call Blocking—blocks unwanted calls in both directions – incoming and outgoing. This powerful tool enables parents to protect their child from unwanted calls and text messages. Parents can define a trusted list of contacts for their child while blocking unknown numbers and toll calls for complete security.
- Security Audit with Built-in Task Manager—provides information about all vital phone functions, including battery life, free disk space, running processes, Bluetooth and device visibility.
- Fresh, New User Interface—tailor-made graphics and layout for enhanced Android experience and integrated with Google Play market.
For more information on ESET Mobile Security, please visit https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eset.ems
* Online Security Brand Tracker wave 6 is a global research project measuring brand performance of leading security software products in the home user segment. The survey is representative of 1.8 billion internet users across six continents. Its objective is to gain knowledge of the current situation and trends on key markets; obtain market information and interpretations to manage sales and marketing activities of ESET, as well as technological development of its products. The number of selected countries was 49; field work was carried out by InSites Consulting (Belgium) on online panels of respondents, with analysis conducted by United Consultants (Slovakia) throughout October– November 2011).
**ESET Mobile Security for Android is available in selected markets only and on Google Play. For additional information, please visit the local ESET website. Some features are not available for tablets which do not support calling and messaging.
ESET is on the forefront of security innovation, delivering trusted protection to make the Internet safer for businesses and consumers. IDC has recognized ESET as a top five corporate anti-malware vendor and one of the fastest growing companies in its category. Trusted by millions of users worldwide, ESET is one of the most recommended security solutions in the world. ESET NOD32 Antivirus consistently achieves the highest accolades in all types of comparative testing, and powers the virus and spyware detection in ESET Smart Security and ESET Cybersecurity for Mac. Sold in more than 180 countries, ESET’s global headquarters is in Bratislava, Slovakia, with distribution headquarters for North America located in San Diego, California. ESET also has offices in Buenos Aires, Prague, Krakow and Singapore and is represented by an extensive global partner network. For more information, visit http://www.eset.com/us or call +1 (619) 876-5400.