ESET Launches Antivirus for Smartphones
ESET®, the leader in proactive threat protection, today announced the introduction of ESET Mobile Antivirus, a new security solution for mobile devices. This lightweight anti-malware software takes the company's state-of-the-art heuristic technology and optimizes it for the mobile platform.
"Widespread mobile attacks are inevitable in the near future and yet it is likely that these first attacks will be hard to find before they've done their damage," said Brian Burke, program director, Security Products, IDC. "Companies like ESET who are effectively applying their proactive protection to the mobile platform are most readily-equipped to identify and prevent the risks that will slip by most signature-based AV solutions."
One of the biggest challenges for mobile security is the limited memory, processing and bandwidth capabilities inherent with a small platform. Traditional antivirus approaches, with large and frequent signature updates, cannot be successfully applied to a mobile environment without significantly impacting the phone's performance.
Available now in Beta for Windows Mobile users, ESET Mobile Antivirus is able to detect mobile malware attacks while delivering the same highly-effective, non-intrusive experience on handsets as on PC platforms. With its small footprint, efficient use of processing power and compact update files, ESET Mobile Antivirus is an effective solution for mobile platforms which have significant memory, processing and bandwidth constraints.
ESET Mobile Antivirus features and benefits include:
· On-demand Scanning — Contains scanning and cleaning of integrated and exchangeable memory media, and a full memory/running processes scan. Specific folder scanning is included and results are displayed after a scan.
· Advanced On-access Scanning — Scans all created/used files with enhanced virus detection capabilities at access time. ESET Mobile Antivirus scans incoming files via wireless connections as well (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Infrared).
· Activity Log — Stores statistics about accomplished scanning tasks and latest database status in a user-friendly format. A variable range of scan results-history is included.
· Variable In-depth Scanning of Cab Files — Enables users to set the level of cab files scanning to the preferred depth.
· Automatic/On-demand Updates — Ensures up-to-date protection against all threat types. Users can schedule updates on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Daily updates are set by default, and users are also allowed to switch off automatic updates if they prefer.
· Intuitive User Interface — Users' experience is enhanced by easy-to-set dialogs and intuitive menu.
· Compact Updates — ESET's update files are typically a fraction of the size of solutions that are more dependent upon signatures, consuming less bandwidth to the mobile device (this benefits carriers and users).
"Our research indicates that consumers and businesses are looking for a solution that will combat the imminent problem of mobile malware with maximum protection, minimal performance impact and small daily updates," said Anton Zajac, CEO of ESET, LLC. "With more and more users requiring mobile devices to send sensitive e-mail and SMS messages, we set out to build the optimal solution for mobile users—an intelligent mobile solution that offers the same level of protection they've come to expect from ESET."
ESET Mobile Antivirus is currently in Beta and available for free. General availability is expected later this year.
To download and test ESET Mobile Antivirus in Beta, please visit www.eset.com/emabeta.
About ESET ESET develops software solutions that deliver instant, comprehensive protection against evolving computer security threats. ESET pioneered and continues to lead the industry in proactive threat detection. Over the past 20 years, ESET's NOD32 Antivirus has consistently achieved the highest accolades in all types of comparative testing. ESET's flagship product, ESET NOD32 Antivirus, is the foundational product that builds out the ESET product line to include ESET Smart Security. ESET Smart Security is an integrated antivirus, antispyware, antispam and personal firewall solution that combines accuracy, speed and an extremely small system footprint to create the most effective security solution in the industry. Both products have an extremely efficient code base that eliminates the unnecessary large size found in some solutions. This means faster scanning that doesn't slow down computers or networks. Sold in more than 110 countries, ESET has worldwide production headquarters in Bratislava, SK and worldwide distribution headquarters in San Diego, U.S. ESET also has offices in Bristol, U.K.; Buenos Aires, AR; Prague, CZ; and is globally represented by an extensive partner network. For more information, visit www.eset.com or call (619) 876-5400.